openslide-users Digest, Vol 25, Issue 5

Andrew Packer andrew at cogitant.co.nz
Fri Mar 2 01:11:18 EST 2012

OpenSlide itself is a library, and does not include a graphical
interface. A polished GUI does not exist yet, but there are a couple
demo programs that might be useful to you: - The demo slide viewer in
OpenSlide Java. You can run this by executing the JAR. You may encounter
some visual glitches. - The Deep Zoom server in OpenSlide Python. You
can get this by installing OpenSlide Python and running
examples/deepzoom/deepzoom_server.py. You can then view the slide with a
web browser.
>> I've downloaded OpenSlide 3.2.5 to my Mac and have extracted it into
>> /Users/<me>/openslide-3.2.5.  When I try to run ./configure, I get the
>> error, "configure: error: cannot find OpenJPEG".
>>
>> I installed OpenJPEG into a subfolder of /opt, but even when I've copied
>> it to the openslide-3.2.5 folder I get the same error.
> When configuring OpenSlide, you need to do something like:
>
> ./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/openjpeg/include LDFLAGS=-L/opt/openjpeg/lib
>
> --Benjamin Gilbert

I'm happy to use the command line if that gets me viewing the .svs
images without Windows.

Configuring worked when I hit on ./configure
CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include/openjpeg-1.4 LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib/
Make and sudo make install  worked and reported no error.

Now I had downloaded openslide-python-0.3.0 to /Users/<me>/Downloads and
untar'ed it there.  Navigated there, and

   sudo python setup.py install  worked and reported no error.

But when I then try (while still in
/Users/<me>/Downloads/openslide-python-0.3.0)

   python examples/deepzoom/deepzoom_server.py

I get (after a few lines)

   ImportError: No module named flask

Searching for "flask" I find only a folder
/opt/local/var/macports/<multiple levels>/py-flask  so I install Flask
via Macports.

Repeating   python examples/deepzoom/deepzoom_server.py  I get the
following output:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "examples/deepzoom/deepzoom_server.py", line 23, in <module>
     from openslide import ImageSlide, open_slide
   File
"/Users/amp/Downloads/openslide-python-0.3.0/openslide/__init__.py",
line 32, in <module>
     from openslide import lowlevel
   File
"/Users/amp/Downloads/openslide-python-0.3.0/openslide/lowlevel.py",
line 41, in <module>
     _lib = cdll.LoadLibrary('libopenslide.so.0')
   File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py",
line 431, in LoadLibrary
     return self._dlltype(name)
   File
"/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/ctypes/__init__.py",
line 353, in __init__
     self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: dlopen(libopenslide.so.0, 6): image not found

There is no file libopenslide.so.0 that I can find on the system.  There
is a file /Users/<me>/openslide-3.2.5/src/libopenslide.la and, in the
same folder, a number of files with names starting src_libopenslide...
and ending .lo

What do I do next?