Fwd: OpenSlide library inquiry

David Gutman dagutman at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 14:58:24 EDT 2012

Ben et al..

We've gotten VIPS and OpenSlide to work with each other now...

The files are being written out as YCbCr.... but one of the programs I
am using to view these (IIPIMAGE) seems to want RGB images.. Wasn't
sure if you knew of a way to transcode to RGB directly--- or if I have
to first use VIPS/Openslide to convert it to an LZW/TIFF single layer
file then convert it to a "pyramid" for visualization in RGB format..

Thanks again for your help.

  Compression Scheme: JPEG
  Photometric Interpretation: YCbCr
  Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
  Samples/Pixel: 3
  Planar Configuration: single image plane
  Reference Black/White:
     0:     0   255
     1:   128   255
     2:   128   255
  JPEG Tables: (574 bytes)

Old Files that worked:
  Compression Scheme: JPEG
  Photometric Interpretation: RGB color
  Orientation: row 0 top, col 0 lhs
  Samples/Pixel: 3
  Planar Configuration: single image plane
  ICC Profile: <present>, 141992 bytes
  JPEG Tables: (289 bytes)

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Benjamin Gilbert <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On 06/05/2012 07:45 AM, David Gutman wrote:
>> aaah ok--- so I have to just make sure when I build VIPS from source I
>> compile against openslide as well---
>
> Right.
>
>> how does
>> VIPS "know" which library to use th read the JPEG2000 encoded tiff's or
>> is there some search hierarchy if it finds an encoding library X won't
>> handle, it will go to library Y?
>
> VIPS format loaders have a priority.  VIPS will try OpenSlide first, and
> if OpenSlide won't read the file (or if OpenSlide decides to use its
> generic-tiff driver), it will try other format loaders like TIFF.  So
> VIPS will use OpenSlide for all Aperio slides, not just the JPEG2000 ones.
>
> --Benjamin Gilbert

David A Gutman, M.D. Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics
Senior Research Scientist, Center for Comprehensive Informatics
Emory University School of Medicine