LEICA BigTIFF

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 21 16:43:19 EDT 2012

On 06/21/2012 12:34 PM, Agelos Pappas wrote:
> I have added a new vendor handler in my local copy of the project and
> changed two files (openslide-private.h & openslide.c) to introduce the
> new function in tiff_formats[] and in the header. Basically the new file
> is just a copy of the generic tiff vendor file with only slight changes.

I had a quick glance at the example slide files available on the Leica
website.  The XML in the IFD 0 ImageDescription field contains a bunch
of useful information for Leica-specific OpenSlide properties.
Significantly, it also contains the mapping from logical images (main
slide and macro) to TIFF IFDs.  So OpenSlide will need to parse this data.

If you'd like, I can handle adding the XML parser dependency to
Autoconf/Automake for you, since I assume you don't have a good way to
test the Autotools build.

libxml2 appears to be the obvious choice of XML library.  Adam?

> Can you guide me on how to commit these changes to the project? Should I
> just attach the modified files in the list or should I use github?

I suggest creating a pull request on GitHub.  This is a bit complicated
if you haven't done it before.

1.  Create a GitHub account if you don't already have one.

2.  Go to <https://github.com/openslide/openslide> and click the "Fork"
button at the top of the page.  That will create a clone of the
OpenSlide repository inside your own GitHub account.

3.  Use Git to push your changes to a branch in your repository.

4.  On the GitHub page for your repository, click the "Pull Request"
button at the top of the page, fill out the form and submit.