Fwd: OpenSlide library inquiry

David Gutman dagutman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 10:47:15 EDT 2012

ok gotcha---

when I'm building VIPS from source--- what's the flag I need to use to
compile openslide support?

Also I have started to use OpenSlide to help me do the transcoding of files
for:

http://cancer.digitalslidearchive.net/

./configure --with-tiff-include=/usr/local/include
--with-tiff-libraries=/usr/local/lib

is what I used when I configured vips with the latest libtiff....   I am
guessing just add a  --with-openslide-libraries or something as well and
point to the right spot?

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Benjamin Gilbert <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu>wrote:

> On 06/05/2012 07:45 AM, David Gutman wrote:
> > aaah ok--- so I have to just make sure when I build VIPS from source I
> > compile against openslide as well---
>
> Right.
>
> > how does
> > VIPS "know" which library to use th read the JPEG2000 encoded tiff's or
> > is there some search hierarchy if it finds an encoding library X won't
> > handle, it will go to library Y?
>
> VIPS format loaders have a priority.  VIPS will try OpenSlide first, and
> if OpenSlide won't read the file (or if OpenSlide decides to use its
> generic-tiff driver), it will try other format loaders like TIFF.  So
> VIPS will use OpenSlide for all Aperio slides, not just the JPEG2000 ones.
>
> --Benjamin Gilbert

David A Gutman, M.D. Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics
Senior Research Scientist, Center for Comprehensive Informatics
Emory University School of Medicine