deepzoom_tile.py slowness

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jul 18 18:03:12 EDT 2012

On 07/18/2012 08:17 AM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>    I am trying to use deepzoom_tile.py on some TIFF files [1]. The
> application has been running for quite some time (>1 hour) without
> producing any output so far. Does anyone know what type of preprocess
> I should run on those TIFF files to make them more efficient with
> openslide ?

deepzoom_tile.py assumes it is working with multi-resolution (pyramidal)
images.  To convert your TIFF to a pyramidal image, you can use
ImageMagick >= 6.7.3-8:

   convert input.tiff -compress jpeg -quality 90 \
     -define tiff:tile-geometry=256x256 ptif:output.tiff

Or VIPS >= 7.28:

   vips tiffsave input.tiff output.tiff --compression=jpeg --Q=90 \
     --tile --tile-width=256 --tile-height=256 --pyramid