Zeiss ZVI file format support development for OpenSlide

Alexandre Kharlamov kharlamovalexandre at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 09:26:01 EDT 2012

Greetings!

For last two days I've been actively developing the code for reading
ZVI file format. I chose the bottom-up approach and created a little
proof-of-concept application. All it does is outputs to the screen the
internal directory structure of the ZVI file provided and outputs a file
thumbnail.bmp. Currently the input file has to be named t5.zvi

Attached is the source file zvi.c as well as captured textual output
in result.txt, plus the image thumbnail.bmp. Results were acquired
using Mailly Philippe's file
120523_120514-2b_Trial5-120510_11b_Ank(IgG2b350)Nav1.6(Rb488)KCNQ2(GP594)perip(RbCy5)
of total size 165 megabytes. It has lots of images which is reflected
in the amount of the internal directory entries.

Benjamin: as far as libgsf, i decided not to use it. The file format is
simple
enough to be read by hand, and what I can get from it in under 300 lines
of bare C code, hopefully, proves that.

Best regards,

-Alexandre Kharlamov