Installation: can't find OpenJPEG

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 28 15:01:04 EST 2012

On 02/28/2012 03:50 AM, Andrew Packer wrote:
> I'm hoping to use OpenSlide as an alternative to Aperio's ImageScope for
> viewing Aperio .svs format digitised pathology slides.

Hi Andrew,

OpenSlide itself is a library, and does not include a graphical
interface.  A polished GUI does not exist yet, but there are a couple
demo programs that might be useful to you:

- The demo slide viewer in OpenSlide Java.  You can run this by
executing the JAR.  You may encounter some visual glitches.

- The Deep Zoom server in OpenSlide Python.  You can get this by
installing OpenSlide Python and running
examples/deepzoom/deepzoom_server.py.  You can then view the slide with
a web browser.

> I've downloaded OpenSlide 3.2.5 to my Mac and have extracted it into
> /Users/<me>/openslide-3.2.5.  When I try to run ./configure, I get the
> error, "configure: error: cannot find OpenJPEG".
>
> I installed OpenJPEG into a subfolder of /opt, but even when I've copied
> it to the openslide-3.2.5 folder I get the same error.

When configuring OpenSlide, you need to do something like:

./configure CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/openjpeg/include LDFLAGS=-L/opt/openjpeg/lib