Aperio slides with 33003 compression

Patrick, Todd tpat at illinois.edu
Thu Dec 13 14:43:31 EST 2012

On Dec 12, 2012, at 5:54 PM, Benjamin Gilbert <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu>
 wrote:

> That script asks OpenSlide to load the entirety of the highest-resolution slide level into RAM.  Needless to say, that's not a good idea.  pyOpenSlide will segfault if malloc() fails, and as you discovered, PIL can't handle large images.
>
> These days, VIPS can use OpenSlide to read slide files directly:
>
>    https://github.com/openslide/openslide/wiki/OpenSlideAndVIPS
>
> so you could modify tiftiler.py to do everything through VIPS.  The development version of VIPS even knows how to produce Google Maps tiles, which might allow you to avoid the script entirely.

Thanks for this link.  I wish that we saw this earlier!  I was able to modify the tiftiler script to completely use vips, and it successfully tiled the problem slide.  Right now we are using the latest vips version provided by Fedora (7.28.5).  We'll have to take a look at the development version to avoid using the Python script.  Thanks for the help!

Todd