OpenSlide debian package

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 05:04:57 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 3:36 AM, Benjamin Gilbert <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 03:32 PM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
>> - is it ok, if I set the SOVERSION to 3.2 for the current 3.2.4
>> release ? I am hoping change of minor version does not imply change of
>> ABI/API
>> - I do not understand what the tools/ subdirectory is good for. I do
>> not see any cmakelists.txt which would compile the main() functions.
>> Is this an error ?
>
> Hello Mathieu,
>
> Thanks for doing this work!
>
> CMake is currently only used for Windows builds.  Linux builds should
> use the Autotools infrastructure, which properly handles the tools/
> directory.
>
> The soversion of OpenSlide is currently 0.
>
> A couple other things I noticed in your packaging:
>
> get-orig-source appears to be repacking the original source tarball.
> Why is this necessary?
>
> Your -dev package should also include the pkg-config file, openslide.pc.

Hi Benjamin,

  Thanks for your input. I believe they are all now taken into
account. Quick explanation for the repackaging. When I saw the
valgrind.h copy within openslide, I thought I could just remove it and
compile openslide against a system installed valgrind. However
valgrind is not available on all platform debian supports. Therefore I
decided to simply skip the test (anyway the test needs valid dataset
to run).

  As a side note, CMake install header in /usr/include/*. while
autotools, install in /usr/include/openslide/*.h ...

  Finally I tried writing some man pages for the tools. I would be
more than happy if people could point to more detailed documentation.
I used help2man to generate those man pages.

thanks,

--
Mathieu