Openslide and MATLAB

M. Satyanarayanan satya at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 26 10:45:47 EST 2010

Dear Mitko,
  It's great to hear that you have created a MATLAB interface to OpenSlide!
I am not aware of anyone else who is duplicating this effort, so your work
will be much appreciated by the OpenSlide community.  Incidentally,
Diamond (http://diamond.cs.cmu.edu) allows searches using filters written
in MATLAB so this will be valuable to us downstream.

  On a slightly different note, you and others in the OpenSlide community
may be interested to know that Jan Harkes in our group recently connected
the OpenSeadragon viewer to OpenSlide.
OpenSeadragon is an Ajax-based deep-zoom viewer that came out of
Microsoft's Silverlight project.  This lets you view digital slides across the Internet
via a web browser (Firefox and Chrome we know work, others may work or not).
(Great work, Jan!)

  You can check this out at http://algum.cs.cmu.edu
Log in as "guest" with password "guest" and click on the "OpenSlide" task.
You'll see the same slide scanned via the 4 formats support currently in OpenSlide.
You should be able to remotely zoom, pan etc.   even over a 3G/4G network.
We are now using this in a collaboration with a researcher in Tampa, Florida.
Algum lets him upload the slides from there to our servers, and then to view
the uploaded slides from anywhere on the Internet.

Cheers
                  -- Satya

              Mahadev Satyanarayanan
              Carnegie Group Professor of Computer Science
              Carnegie Mellon University
              http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~satya
              Email: satya at cs.cmu.edu
              Phone: (412)-268-3743