Color components and endianess

tom nygen ca95129 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 11 08:16:39 EDT 2010

Thank you for making OpenSlide available. It is very useful for me to
deal effectively with multiple scanner manufacturers. I've just tried
some examples and have the following questions:

1. There seems to be only one pixel data format retrieved from the
slides and that is pre-multiplied ARGB. Since most of the slide formats
(known to me) have no alpha channel, and if they do, RGB components are
already pre-mulitplied with the alpha channel, why can't we use RGB
(24-bit) instead of ARGB (32-bit) format when we get a region from the
slide? This would ease integration for many people having codes handling
24-bit RGB format.

2. Since there could be an endian issue from one platform to the other,
are there macros helping to make it easier to retrieve color components
R, G, B from the 32-bit pixel data?

Thank you very much for any hints.
Tom N