MIRAX read_slide_position_file

Adam Goode agoode at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 30 13:54:03 EDT 2010

On 07/30/2010 01:00 PM, Marco Feuerstein wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> I'm a colleague of Hauke also starting to work with/on openslide.
> With some of our MIRAX files here I ran into a problem when using
> "read_slide_position_file" in "openslide-vendor-mirax.c".
> In line 570 when reading zz, it gives me 255 and not 0 as expected (where x
> is 1 and y is -256). Do you know what's going wrong/different here? What
> exactly do those numbers (x, y, zz) stand for?
> If I change
>
> -    if ((x == -1) || (y == -1) || (zz != 0) || (fread_result != 1)) {
> +    if ((x == -1) || (y == -1) || (zz != 0 && zz != 255) || (fread_result
> != 1)) {
>
> it works, but I'm not sure whether this is the correct fix.
> Thanks a lot for your help!

Interesting! What this means is that the format is not what we were expecting.
In all files that I have seen so far, that 'zz' value is always 0.

Can you try running a python program on your mirax data? It will dump these
structures for analysis. You can pull it from git, it's here:

http://openslide.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=openslide.git;a=blob_plain;f=misc/decode-trestle-tile-position.py;hb=HEAD

Just run it on the correct DataXXXX.dat files, it's usually one of the
files after 14 or so. You may have to try a few. It will tell you if
the file size doesn't match. You'll know if it's right if the numbers
look like XY coordinates. Try posting that file here.

Thanks,

Adam