Growth of OpenSlide and request for comments

Hauke Heibel hauke.heibel at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 11 03:36:31 EDT 2010

Hi Adam,

it is good to head that your development efforts and the community
feedback is satisfactory and that it seems as if you are still having
fun with the project.

I don't yet have much experience with git but setup my own gitolite
server and worked a bit with github. I know the other two web-services
just from browsing.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 8:27 PM, Adam Goode <agoode at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> I would like to propose moving the main OpenSlide repositories to a site
> that would make it easier for us to integrate changes from everybody.
> Here are some of the sites that we have looked at for this:
>
>  * GitHub

For GitHub I like what I've seen so far. To me it offers the cleanest
and most appealing interface. It is easy to search for projects, you
have a simple bug tracking system and an integrated wiki. It also
allows forks (don't yet know what fork queues are) and other nifty
things. The bottom line is, that it is working and for projects which
are not too big it seems a good platform.

>  * Gitorious

Regarding Gitorious I find it a bit disturbing that I cannot search
for projects from the main web-site. I seems as if you must be logged
in to search for projects and that they don't support bug tracking
since the main reference projects host all external bug tracking
systems.

>  * Google Code

Google Code is probably fine too but I am not sure about what they
offer for collaborative work. I mean things like watching forks, etc.

>  * ??? (your suggestion here)

Besides hosting your own server pretty much nothing. The question
whether that would be worth the effort and where the differences to
your current system would be.

In case you opt for GitHub, just let me know whether I should then
remove my clone. I think it won't be required anymore, since I could
probably fork the core repository, push to the fork and then request
as usual a pull from your side.

Regards,
Hauke

p.s. Just digesting the other e-mail.