Growth of OpenSlide and request for comments

Adam Goode agoode at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 10 14:27:19 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

In the three years since OpenSlide was created, it has become a useful
library for many researchers around the world. I receive a regular flow
of thanks, bug reports, feature requests, questions, and contributed
code. All of these are extremely satisfying personally.

OpenSlide supports several popular slide formats, but there are many
formats it still does not support. I am very happy that we cover the big
ones, but there are new formats being created, existing ones of
sufficient complexity, and variants we've not discovered.

All this being said, it seems that it might be time to streamline the
development and bug reporting process a little, to make it easier to
integrate contributed code and continue to improve the quality of OpenSlide.

We currently host OpenSlide on a combination of Trac (for wiki and bug
tracking), Coda (for downloads and git), gitweb, and mailman. This has
worked well so far, but makes it difficult for newcomers to fork and
contribute code back to OpenSlide.

I would like to propose moving the main OpenSlide repositories to a site
that would make it easier for us to integrate changes from everybody.
Here are some of the sites that we have looked at for this:

 * GitHub

 * Gitorious

 * Google Code

 * ??? (your suggestion here)

I welcome comments and stories of experiences that anyone has had with
these sites, especially for collaboration or code review. At some point
soon (later this week or the next), we'll pick one and OpenSlide will
move to its new hosting home.

Thanks,

Adam