LMTP said: 550-Mailbox unknown or you do not have authorization to see it

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Wed Oct 14 17:15:53 EDT 2020

Le 14/10/2020 à 14:30:31-0500, Ezsra McDonald a écrit
> I am building a new mail server to replace an older EL6 server. The new server
> is Centos 8. I keep getting this response when trying to deliver email to a
> local account stored in LDAP.
>
> host mail.example.org[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp] said:
> 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
> 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
> 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>
> I have tried replacing the new configs with my old working configs from the EL6
> server but they get the same result.
>
> a postmap -q against the LDAP table config returns the appropriate information.
> I am wondering if the key is the 'or you do not have authorization to see it`
> part of the message. What exactly does LMTP need to authorize the delivery?
>
> Enabling verbose logging on LMTP and LDAP did not give any clues.

If you run

  getent passwd

what you got ?

Personnaly I don't run the lmtp against ldap, to risky IMHO, if you got any
problem with the connection betwen your postfix/cyrus server and the ldap
server your are going to loose email.

So for me I'm using a script who dump the ldap inside the /etc/passwd, so
the all account are local.

Regards

--
Albert SHIH