imap clients say i have 4K messages but spool has 12894 files

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue May 26 09:33:04 EDT 2020

Hi.

Every IMAP client I query my cyrus imapd 2.4.17 server with says I have
~4K messages in my INBOX.  However when I do a listing of
/var/spool/imap/b/user/brian/ it shows almost 13K files.

None of these include messages which have been deleted but not
expunged.  I manually expunge my mailbox many times per day.

If I'm understanding mbexamine's output correctly, I have files on disk
that are not being displayed by mbexmine.  My understanding of
mbexamine's output is that on a line formatted as such:

000001> UID:00089183   INT_DATE:[redacted] SENTDATE:[redacted] SIZE:1537

that the 00089183 is the reference to the file on the spool in
/var/spool/imap/b/user/brian/89183.

Is that correct?  If so, I definitely have files on the disk which are
not found in any "000001> UID" line from mbexamine.  ~9600 of them.
That seems to make up the difference between what an IMAP client sees
and how many files are on disk.

I also have multiple occurrences of the same "000001> UID:" and where
there are no matching files on the disk.  Should that be possible?

So how come the huge discrepancies and how do I reconcile them?

Cheers,
b.