backupd and sync_client IOERROR

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Wed Jun 24 00:52:13 EDT 2020

> I think there isn't a all-in-one command for this use case: a user
> expunged some messages and deleted some folders somewhere. I want to
> recover all expunged messages and all the deleted folders which are no
> more present in the original IMAP server (because they were expired from
> cyr_expire).
>
> I have to set "-x" to avoid duplication of messages.
> With "-a -x" I recover all expunged messages and all deleted mailboxes.
> But messages inside deleted mailboxes are not marked as expunged, so
> these mailboxes are recovered empty in the IMAP server.

I would run restore twice in this case:  once without -x, specifying just the deleted mailboxes (you can use "cyr_backup list mailboxes ..." to get a list of the mailboxes in the user's backup).  And once with -x to get all the expunged stuff.  For the -x invocation only, I would probably also use the -M option to dump all the recovered stuff into a new folder, so they can easily tell it apart from any new mail that might have arrived coincidentally at the same time.

> Another idea is to recover all in another empty IMAP server, without
> "-x" at all, and the user can look at the mailbox recovered there...

We kinda had a similar idea!  Putting it all into a folder with -M is much easier than setting up a separate server, but it'll lose the folder structure.  Recovering to a separate server means the folder structure can be preserved.  I guess it depends on the specific recovery situation, and how hard it is to spin up a server in your environment.

Cheers,

ellie