cyrus-imapd exporting databases failed on shutdown - deliver.db.skiplist 2048M

Simon Matter simon.matter at invoca.ch
Sat Jun 20 15:31:38 EDT 2020

> Hi,
>
> I run into a problem on an old clearos server, where the cyrus shutdown
> always failed at step exporting databases.
> As I checked the situation using ps ax on an other console, I found
> that, it was exporting deliver.db.skiplist file, which failed after a
> loooong time (some minutes).
> I checked that file on the filesystem, I saw the file size is 2048MB,
> which seems a limit for me and I suspect the problem should be that,
> the 32 bit cyrus cannot write more data to that file and caused the
> problem.
> As I read the db_export.log, that confirmed my theory, file size limit
> exceeded.

Hi,

The question is why is the deliver db > 2GB in skiplist format? Is it
normal or do you have a corrupt BDB db or does your db pruning not work
for deliverdb. I think that should be something like 'delprune
cmd="cyr_expire -D 7 -E 3 -X 7" at=0400' in cyrus.conf.

I think the easiest way would be to make sure you have pruning configured
correctly, then change config of deliver db to skiplist, and start without
a db so a new, empty deliver db is created.

Then have an eye on the db file to see if it grows again to almost 2GB. If
it doesn't grow so much, you should be fine.

Regards,
Simon