RLIST leads to Referral after SELECT

Eduardo Chappa alpine.chappa at yandex.com
Sun Sep 8 20:52:42 EDT 2019

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, ellie timoney wrote:

> If "a MAILBOX-REFERRALS capable client will issue RLIST and RLSUB", then
> it's reasonable to suppose that:
>
> * a client that issues RLIST or RLSUB supports mailbox referrals (and so
>   the server sends a referral)
> * a client that issues a regular LIST does not support mailbox referrals
>   (and so the server proxies the remote mailbox instead)

I partly agree with this analysis. I agree the client identifies itself as
supporting referrals. The conclusion that a referral MUST be sent because
of that, I do not follow. The purpose of the RLIST command is to identify
folders that will be accessed through a referral. It is the output of LIST
command plus the referrals. In this case, the mailbox I want to access
appears as the output of the LIST command (this is new information in this
message, but it is the case) so the server does not have any reason to do
a referral, as it can access it without it.

In other words, the problem here is that Cyrus is using a referral when it
does not need to.

This would not be a problem caused by Cyrus itself, but I find myself in a
situation where the referral is to a server that is not possible to
connect in any port (143 or 993) so the referral is bogus (nor any other
port was specified in the referral). While one can argue that the original
server is misconfigured, the point in the previous paragraphs still
stands, that is, why is the server issuing a referral when none is needed?

I hope you see my point. Thank you.

--
Eduardo