Cyrus backup: is traffic from master to backup server encrypted?

Deborah Pickett debbiep at polyfoam.com.au
Fri Nov 8 01:12:37 EST 2019

... or do I need to establish my own SSH tunnel from master to backup
server?

I've set up my dedicated Cyrus backup server with tls_server_cert and
tls_server_key, and when I connect to port 2005 I see that STARTTLS is
offered:

# nc localhost 2005
* SASL PLAIN LOGIN DIGEST-MD5
* STARTTLS
* COMPRESS DEFLATE
* OK rsync Cyrus backup server 3.0.11-Debian-3.0.11-1~bpo10+1
STARTTLS
NO command not implemented

But as shown, the STARTTLS command from the client is rejected.

I believe that DIGEST-MD5 gives me some level of privacy (sync_test
reports a security strength factor of 128) even without TLS?

--
*Deborah Pickett*
System Administrator