Questions about user mode sync_client (move mailboxes from one server to another) and mailbox moving from partition (moving from partition in same server, renaming) lock

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu May 23 13:28:20 EDT 2019

Hi,

> Our Cyrus machines (Cyrus 3.0.8), usually have 3 mailbox partitions.
> Sometimes, one of them becomes highly filled so we usually perform a
> mailbox rename to another partition of the same server. For that
> purpose, we normally lock at our proxy barrier any access to the mailbox
> (we do play with Nginx authentication, Postfix hold and so....). Is it
> really needed to lock that way the mailbox, at some "external to Cyrus
> level," in order to avoid mailbox corruption?. Or does Cyrus handle that
> properly?. Does Cyrus exclusively lock and after done, unlock again?.

I can only answer that part of the question. We have been doing it like
that (without blocking access from the outside) for years, but we're still
on Cyrus 2.4. We only make sure there are no active processes by the user
before starting the RENAME, and we do it at night. There haven't been any
problems with that approach.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121, Zimmer 2.02
Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK)