Purging old email files from Cyrus-IMAPD v.3.0.9 on FreeBSD-12.0

Savvas Karagiannidis karagian at gmail.com
Thu May 16 17:14:31 EDT 2019

Hi James,
I think deleted and expunged are explained well in the documentation.

Deleted: In IMAP when a user deletes an email, the email is actually only
flagged as deleted. The user can still see the message and even unset the
flag recovering the email.

Expunged: When the user issues the expunge command the flagged as deleted
messages above become inaccessible by the user. Without delayed delete this
is also where the message file gets deleted from the filesystem (purged).

The confusion is probably between purged and expired. For every email
message cyrus keeps a file on the mailbox folder and also an entry in the
cyrus index file  for that message. For a clean delete, both the file and
the index entry must be deleted. For some reasons they may not be both
removed at the same time... I think for performance reasons, replication
etc. So:

Purged: when the message file is deleted, it is considered purged. The
actual email can in no way be recovered.

Expired: The index entry for the message is removed. This usually happens
after it has been purged. Cyrus has no longer any knowledge of the message
ever existed.

Hope this clarifies things. For simplicity just consider cyr_expire purging
and expiring the messages.

Regards,
Savvas Karagiannidis