Purging old email files from Cyrus-IMAPD v.3.0.9 on FreeBSD-12.0

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu May 16 16:08:32 EDT 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 11:00, Savvas Karagiannidis wrote:
> Hi James,
> the command that performs the actual removal of the files from the
> file system is cyr_expire
> <https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/manpages/systemcommands/cyr_expire.html>
> According to your cyrus.conf and the manual of cyr_expire, the
> operation is performed daily at 04:00. The command is executed
> by the main cyrus process, so you don't have to do anything
> else manually...
> The parameters -D 180d and -X 180d specify that only mailboxes and
> messages that are at least 180 days old will be deleted.
>
> When cyr_expire is executed you should see a line in your log file
> like these:

Thanks.  I have a question though. If expunge == purge then why does
the documentation distinguish between them?

When is What ... Deleted, Expired, Expunged or Purged?
https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/faqs/o-deleted-expired-expunged-purged.html

Expunged

    The message (which has been flagged as \Deleted) is also expunged,
meaning that the user can in no way retrieve the message
autonomously.

Purged

    The message’s index record may still exist (until they are
expired), but the message file is removed from the filesystem, or
in the context of folders, the mail folder is removed from the
filesystem.

This is what has me confused.

Regards,

Canada  L8E 3C3