Troubles with CardBook

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Tue May 7 07:35:32 EDT 2019

Hello.

I'm maintaining several setups of Cyrus IMAPD 2.5.12 on FreeBSD 11.2/amd64.
I'm also using Thunderbird+CardBook on some of them without too many
troubles.

Today, however I tried this on one server where I hadn't used CardDAV
before (but had used CalDav succesfully) and run into some troubles.

First, "Default" addressbook for user myuser at mydomain.it was not
automatically created when I configured CardBook; after creating it
manually through cyradmin, CardBook would connect fine.

Later, I moved some hundred contacts into CardBook and let it
synchronize: I watched it progress and noticed any contact who was
transferred to the server disappeared from CardBook.
No use synchronizing again, those contacts would not reappear.
So I tried configuring the same addressbook on another machine: it would
connect fine, but show no contact.
If I add further contacts, they are just "eaten" when I synchronize.
The contacts are however present on the server if I go and look at the
filesystem level!

Now, this servers differs from the others where I succesfully used
carddav for two reasons: it uses "virtdomains: userid" and
"unixhierarchysep: yes".
(I also have "altnamespace: yes", but that's not unique).

I believe "unixhierarchysep: yes" is the culprit here, because this is
what happened:
_ I pointed CardBook at
https://mail.mydomain.it/dav/addressbooks/user/myuser@mydomain.it/Default/
_ at the file system level I saw the following appear:
  /var/spool/imap/domain/mydomain.it/user/myuser/#addressbooks
  /var/spool/imap/domain/mydomain.it/user/myuser/#addressbooks^Default
_ still CardBook would say no such addressbook was available;
_ I lunched cyradm and issued "cm user
user/myuser/#addressbooks/Default at mydomain.it";
_ /var/spool/imap/domain/mydomain.it/user/myuser/#addressbooks/Default
appeared and CardBook was happy and created the addressbook.

After I added those hundred contacts, I correctly see them in
/var/spool/imap/domain/mydomain.it/user/myuser/#addressbooks/Default,
but still CardBook does not find them.

Is this a known bug?
Any hint on how to solve or at least get some more debugging info?

  bye & Thanks
	av.