Sieve script not working

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Mar 1 07:51:14 EST 2019

Hi

Quoting Willem Offermans <Willem at offermans.rompen.nl>:

> Dear Michael and Cyrus friends,
>
> Where is this documented?
>

> I cannot find anything about this in
>
> https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/sieve.html
> <https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/sieve.html>

The example shown in section "Testing the sieve server"
https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/sieve.html#testing-the-sieve-server

# To place this script on the server run the following command:
#
# sieveshell servername
# Please enter your password: ******
#> put myscript.script
#> activate myscript
#> quit
#
#This should place your script on the server and make it the active script.

As timsieved implements rfc5804 there is also

> How should a user/administrator know?
>
> Pay attention to
>
> https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/manpages/usercommands/sieveshell.html#std:cyrusman-sieveshell(1)
> <https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/manpages/usercommands/sieveshell.html#std:cyrusman-sieveshell(1)>
>
> and look at activate/deactivate.
>
> This is sufficient documentation according to the developer, who
> spent many hours in the code, I guess.
> However, an ignorant user only gets a hint at most. Where is
> defaultbc mentioned? Be aware that the
> text the user reads is far away off what the user experiences, when
> he uses sieveshell. There is no
> (visual) connection between the two. It is a challenge to find your way.

I don't know if the defaultbc is documented somewhere, google found
some old list mails from 2007 and a thread on a german linux forum.
So there is room for improvement.

The users can't normally see this file, it is only visible indirect as the
active script is shown / marked in timsieved / sieveshell "list" command.

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen