cyrus-imapd not starting after upgrade

Daniel Bareiro daniel-listas at gmx.net
Wed Jan 16 09:01:57 EST 2019

Hi, Andrew. Thanks for your reply.

On 15/1/19 13:57, Andrew Morgan wrote:

>> I'm not sure what the problem is but that "invalid magic header" makes
>> me think that maybe it changed the header format of
>> /var/lib/cyrus/tls_sessions.db and the migration process did not do the
>> corresponding conversion. Can that be the reason why it doesn't start or
>> I'm missing something else? Any ideas that can bring more light?
>>
>> The associated problem is that because of this it seems that Postfix can
>> not deliver the mails since there is no /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp.

> It wants tls_sessions.db to be a twoskip-format file, but the current
> format is skiplist.  However, it was able to detect this and open it as
> skiplist.  You can fix this issue by stopping Cyrus, removing
> tls_sessions.db, and starting Cyrus.

Thank you for this. It seems that Cyrus does not automatically create
this file but after creating it manually, it starts without problems.

> However, your real problem seems to be the missing nntp executable:
>
> Jan 14 23:10:46 mail cyrus/master[5311]: cannot find executable for
> service 'nntp'
>
> Do you use NNTP?  You could comment it out of cyrus.conf in order to get
> the rest of Cyrus up and running.

Thank you! Indeed that was the problem as you will have seen in a

> Take a look at the release notes for v2.5.0:
>
>   https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/download/release-notes/2.5/x/2.5.0.html
>
> It covers important changes from v2.4 to v2.5.  You may need to update
> your cyrus.conf and imapd.conf files.

Thanks for the reference. I will read it to see the changes introduced
in this new version.

Now I am having this problem when trying to open a folder inside one of
the mailboxes:

----------
Jan 16 10:47:17 mail cyrus/imaps[10794]: Fatal error: Exists wrong 257
256 22 16596
Jan 16 10:47:17 mail cyrus/master[2694]: process type:SERVICE name:imaps
path:/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/imapd age:0.298s pid:10794 exited, status 75
----------

I was not able to find the cause yet. Maybe a problem with repeated
messages (that "257 256" makes me think about that) causes a process
crash? This had never happened to me with 2.4.17. Apparently, it only
happens with that folder. Yesterday I deleted all the messages there
using Thunderbird (they were cron jobs mails) and now I would have to
see the cron jobs that ran today, but I do not see anything. When I try
to open the folder Thunderbird displays a message saying "Server
[mailserver] has disconnected. The server may have gone down or there
may be a network problem". Maybe the information in the folder is in an
inconsistent state for some reason after the upgrade?

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,
Daniel