cyrus-imapd not starting after upgrade

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Jan 16 02:19:30 EST 2019

Quoting Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas at gmx.net>:

> Hi, Michael.
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> On 15/1/19 17:47, Michael Menge wrote:
>
>>> After that I managed to get the service is up and running (although I
>>> have still doubt about the "http" line).
>
>> http is used for CalDAV / CardDav so is most likely in the cyrus-caldav
>> package.
>> This enables your cyrus server to store address books and calendars.
>
> It seems that "http" does indeed enable CalDAV / CardDAV support with
> the cyrus-caldav package. I had not thought of it :-) After installing
> the package and uncommenting the "http" line, the error was not shown. I
> will need this to synchronize calendars and tasks.
>
> I guess it would have to work with this but Thunderbird shows a message
> saying "the calendar is momentarily unavailable". It's weird because it
> brought the information from Horde calendar and in fact I added a new
> event in Thunderbird and it was shown by Horde. But when I pressed the
> sync button this message was shown with an exclamation mark. But this
> has already happened to me with Cyrus 2.4.17 and Thunderbird 60.x. I'm
> thinking if it has to do with something on the side of Thunderbird 60.x
> or Horde or the result of the interaction of both.

Horde (Kronolith and Turba) have there own ClaDAV / CardDav Server,
AFAIK Horde is at the moment not able to use cyrus as an Backend for
its calendars and address books.

Horde had support for Kolab, and the CalDAV / CardDAV in Cyrus is
based on what Kolab did there. But the support in Horde has not been
updated yet.

So most likely you have configured your thunderbird to synchronize
to horde and do not use the cyrus CalDAV / CardDAV feature

>>> I have also come across this error now:
>>>
>>> ----------
>>> Jan 15 15:32:16 mail cyrus/imaps[21978]: IDLE: error sending message
>>> INIT to idled for mailbox user.jsmith: No such file or directory.
>>> Falling back to polling every 60 seconds.
>>> ----------
>
>> is idled (man idled) configured in cyrus.conf?
>
> When I upgraded to Stretch I initially installed the versions of
> configurations provided by the package maintainer and then passed the
> changes from the previous configuration files to the new versions of the
> configuration files. I thought that this would be the best.
>
> The "idled" line was commented out with Cyrus 2.4.17 and I don't
> remember having ever seen those messages in the log. So here I also kept
> it commented out (as it came initially). Maybe this is because something
> changed in the new version of Cyrus. Now I have activated that line and
> the message has vanished.
>
>>> It seems this is preventing access to IMAP mailboxes. I am investigating
>>> the cause. Any contribution is welcome.
>
>> It should not preventing access to IMAP mailboxes. This is a cpu friendly
>> "inform me if there is new mail" feature which results in
>> "Falling back to polling every 60 seconds." if it is missing
>
> Sorry. I expressed myself inaccurately. The content of the mailboxes is
> accessed. What I meant is it seems that from time to time the connection
> is lost. This is what I see in the log when that happens:
>
> ----------
> Jan 15 19:12:22 mail cyrus/imaps[27754]: Fatal error: Exists wrong 257
> 256 11 16585
> Jan 15 19:12:22 mail cyrus/master[26739]: process type:SERVICE
> name:imaps path:/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/imapd age:0.265s pid:27754 exited,
> status 75
> ----------
>
> For example, that happens when I try to access a folder with more than
> 2000 messages. I am investigating the cause. If you know what it can be,
> any info will be welcome. It's weird because I don't remember seeing
> this with Cyrus 2.4.17.
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Kind regards,
> Daniel

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen