Upgrade to cyrus-imapd and connection drops when searching mailboxes

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Jan 11 11:34:44 EST 2019

cyrus-imapd30-3.0.8_2
Name           : cyrus-imapd30
Version        : 3.0.8_2
Installed on   : Tue Jan  8 11:07:34 2019 EST
Origin         : mail/cyrus-imapd30
Architecture   : FreeBSD:11:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
Categories     : ipv6 mail
Licenses       : BSD4CLAUSE
Maintainer     : ume at FreeBSD.org

Since upgrading to this version from 3.0.8_1 on January 8 we have seen
a considerable increase of messages in the maillog that look similar
to this:

CYRUS/lmtpunix[79768]: mailbox: longlock user.name.delivery for 1.4
seconds

Where the number of seconds varies between 1.x and 11.x.  When I say
considerably I mean from between 10 and 30 per log rollover to over
800 today and it is not yet noon.

Perhaps coincidently, users are reporting imap connections dropping
when they are performing text searches on their mailboxes.  The user
mail client being squirrelmail.

Are the longlock reports and the imap connection drop related?

If imap drops a connection is the reason for that event logged?  Can
it be logged?

Canada  L8E 3C3