Xapian searches in Cyrus 3.0

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Jan 3 10:37:18 EST 2019

--On 3. Januar 2019 um 16:08:44 +0100 Robert Stepanek
<rsto at fastmailteam.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 3, 2019, at 3:55 PM, Egoitz Aurrekoetxea wrote:
>> I was planning to perform mailboxes squattering in rolling mode. Have
>> you had some kind of expience on searching with Xapian and IMAP
>> protocol?. Perhaps is more designed for JMAP?. Or perhaps, using it
>> with IMAP is not so advantageous?.
> Both IMAP and JMAP search share the same core search API in Cyrus, so
> all search features available in JMAP can also be used using IMAP. The
> key is to use FUZZY search for text search, and this can be an advantage
> especially for non-English search over the other search backends.

A few additional comments:

With the setting "search_fuzzy_always: 1" all searches use Xapian.
Otherwise searches from clients that don't use FUZZY run completely without
a search index. There is no fallback mechanism to squatter. You also need
to be careful with the conversationsdb. In my experience the DB is not
updated when syncing from a 2.4 server to a 3.0 server. That means that you
need ro rebuild each user's conversationdb manually using
ctl_conversationsdb.
--
    .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121 (Gebäude 133), Zimmer 2.02.:.
                 .:.Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK).:.