Cyrus imap and identity theft

Dennis Davis dennisdavis+info-cyrus at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 27 17:04:06 EST 2019

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019, Stéphane Branchoux wrote:

> From: Stéphane Branchoux <stephane.branchoux at univ-perp.fr>
> To: info-cyrus at lists.andrew.cmu.edu
> Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 19:41:15 +0100
> Subject: Cyrus imap and identity theft
>
> Each week , few users respond to phishing mails.  I use rules on
> firewalls, DNS filters, training program for users , anti spam
> products , anti virus ….
>
> I am looking for a way or tools to reduce identity theft on my
> Cyrus imap server.  For example , scripts to geo localise ip
> requests , detect and reject bad connexions ? Is it possible to
> authorize few devices for a user and reject other devices ?
>
> Which tools do you use on your Cyrus imap servers to protect them ?

As a slightly left-field suggestion, you can sometimes install the
checking and protection in your email relay.  Of course this depends
on the email software you use.

For the exim message transfer agent (MTA) see:

https://github.com/Exim/exim/wiki/BlockCracking

Disclaimer: I've never used the above, but it seems a lot of
work and thought have gone into this suggestion.
--
Dennis Davis <dennisdavis at fastmail.fm>