[SOLVED] Re: ipurge difficulties

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Wed Nov 21 10:20:08 EST 2018

On Wed, November 21, 2018 09:33, Javier Angulo wrote:

> On 11/21/18 2:38 PM, James B. Byrne via Info-cyrus wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, November 21, 2018 03:25, Javier Angulo wrote:
>>>
>>> Probably you have to use a '.' instead of '^'
>>>
>>> try:
>>> # sudo -u cyrus /usr/local/cyrus/sbin/ipurge -v -f -d 35
>>> 'user/*/INBOX.Trash'
>>>

>> Thank you. That was it exactly.
>>
>> My next question is: Why did the conversion to imap3 ignore users'
>> existing Trash folder and create a new folder named INBOX^Trash for
>> everyone; and likewise with Drafts and Sent?
>>

> mmm we have upgraded quite a few mailboxes and never had that thing.
> Just speculating but could be related to new defaults
>
> unixhierarchysep: on
> altnamespace: on
>
> We had both on before upgrading.

We had previously used the '.' as the separator.  Our current settings
are:

/usr/local/etc/imapd.conf:unixhierarchysep:           true
/usr/local/etc/imapd.conf:altnamespace:               true

Before the purge this mailbox folder was displayed in my webmail
application (Squirrelmail) as INBOX^Trash, which is why I choose that
construction for the ipurge command.  However, following the
successful purge run of ipurge INBOX.Trash the mailbox now displays as
INBOX.Trash.

What is equally curious is that there exists a folder simply named
Trash, which was used as the trash folder by the previous version of
IMAP and which was replaced by INBOX^Trash by some part of the upgrade
process.  It is certain that these changes (Trash -> INBOX^Trash, Sent
-> INBOX^Sent, Drafts -> INBOX^Drafts) were not consciously made and
they affected all users.

And, yes, I did follow the published upgrade procedures to the best of
my understanding.

Canada  L8E 3C3