Missing Email & Folders

Dan White dwhite at olp.net
Tue Nov 6 15:51:44 EST 2018

On 11/06/18 14:06 -0600, Robert Covell wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>Have a few weird situations that I have been unable to find solutions to.
>
>Server:
>CentOS release 6.x
>cyrus-imapd-2.4.17-6.el5.src.rpm (Simon Matter)
>
>Client:
>Outlook 2013
>
>Our client is using Cyrus to store related emails for their clients. The
>server does not actually receive mail, it is placed (copied) there.
>Approximately eight clients connect to "one" Cyrus account. When an email
>comes in for client X the user will find the appropriate imap folder and
>copy it to it. If the folder does exist it is created.
>
>Issue One:
>
>Randomly the server side imap folder is empty. Client imap folder has what
>was supposed to be on the server but it is not. The copy of the email
>appears to have been successful.

Mouse slip?

If you suspect this is due to a client related problem, you could enable
telemetry logging to find out who/what is causeing the emails to go missing.

https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/faqs/o-telemetry.html

If the purpose is to (mostly) copy emails into the folder and rarely delete,
you could restrict delete access to a specific account via ACL.

https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/access-control/rights-reference.html