Backup methods

Anatoli me at anatoli.ws
Thu May 10 18:29:20 EDT 2018

Actually, mysqldump performs a lock on the records it's dumping. If its
for a MyISAM db, the entire table is locked. If it's for InnoDB and
similar, an internal snapshot is created and only the records the dump
is reading are unavailable for writing.

Cyrus could also implement a per-user lock, but in reality it doesn't
need that complex syncro mechanisms, a simple global write lock would be
enough (reading would not be affected, son only I, not I/O, and not to
stop it but just to suspend). After all, the *write* lock would last
only a second or so, the fs snapshots are almost instantaneous. If you
can't tolerate a 1 second delay for writing in Cyrus, you are probably
not a SME.

And you don't need to hold the data to transfer it. You can dump it
directly to a nfs share or pass it as stdout to ssh: mysqldump | xz -9 |
ssh remote_server "cat > /bkp/`date +%y%m%d_%H%M`.sql.xz". With a couple
of pipes more you can encrypt the data on the fly so it's secure to
store it in a cheap VPS overseas... or you could upload it to dropbox.