Backup methods

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu May 10 17:41:49 EDT 2018

A> What about mysqldump > dump.sql, then mysql < dump.sql? Also a wrong
A> way and didn't have to be implemented?

No, that's exactly my point.  Thanks for making it for me!  The analog
to the way you indicated that you would like it to work would be having
the mysql server stop IO so that you can take a filesystem snapshot
while the database is in a consistent state.  But instead, the database
(like cyrus) implements a backup method which you can use to extract the
data.  And it also requires disk space to hold the backup until you can
transfer it to your backup medium.

 - J<