Backup methods

Anatoli me at anatoli.ws
Thu May 10 15:08:32 EDT 2018

Jason,

What you mention is highly related to the replication backup we were
talking about in the previous mails. The idea is the same, they
replicate from master. Then, in a pure replica solution, the replica is
stopped, a copy of its files (in the native format) is made and it's
started again to continue replication.

The Cyrus Backups also replicates all data from master, but stores it in
a different format and has some additional functionality to assist in
backing up the files, but AFAIK it's not yet complete, e.g. I'm not sure
it's possible to make incremental backups with it, not sure about the
SEEN state, the recovery process appears not trivial, etc.

In both cases, a copy of the master data is made, which requires twice
the space of real usage (Cyrus Backups tries to apply compression on
stored data, not sure how well it works).

What is really needed, IMO, for SME environments is the ability for
Cyrus to sync to disk all data, so one can take a hot copy of that data
with standard UNIX tools and then handle it accordingly. Once a recovery
is needed, one just copies a backup to the Cyrus dir and starts the
service. The data would be in the exact same state as when the backup
took place. This is discussed in the github issue mentioned in the
previous mail.