Xapian/Cyrus/Thunderbird

Robert Stepanek rsto at fastmailteam.com
Wed May 9 03:53:23 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Wed, May 9, 2018, at 09:45, Albert Shih wrote:
> So I get
>
>   "search": {
>     "squat": true,
>     "sphinx": false,
>     "xapian": true,
>     "xapian_flavor": "vanilla"
>   },
>
> I don't know if vanilla are a correct value of xapian_flavor, I would say
> yes because vanilla are ... a flavor...and a flavor of xapian.

That's OK. It means that you are using the upstream version of Xapian, rather than the Xapian fork of the Cyrus project. You are missing out on a few features that didn't get pulled into the upstream release, yet: namely improved Chinese/Japanese search, and improved snippet generation. Both are optional.

The cyruslibs fork is at https://github.com/cyrusimap/xapian

The complete set of forked libraries, including a build script for convenience, is located at https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyruslibs

>   search_index_headers: no

The rest of your config looks fine, but you might want to change search_index_headers to yes, in case you are doing a lot of searches on the From:, To:, etc headers. If disabled, searching these headers still will work, but will be slower.

> Just one question, are the xapian handle all search ? Including body search ?

Actually, Xapian mainly is useful for the body search, e.g. searching text within a somewhat large corpus.

Cheers,
Robert