Moving mailboxes from CIMAP-2.3.16 to CIMAP-3.0.5

Niels Dettenbach nd at syndicat.com
Tue May 8 03:52:08 EDT 2018

Am Montag, 7. Mai 2018, 22:26:19 CEST schrieb James B. Byrne via Info-cyrus:
> I have tried moving things over using imapsync-1.836 and while this
> appears to work we end up with vastly enlarged user mailbox sizes.
> Also I cannot see the quota setting for most users although a few are
> reported.
Did you checked / compared file sizes in the mailboxes - i.e. of single mails
and cyrus.* files? Possibly this is file system related (i.e. max number of
inodes or block size etc.) under the FeeBSD system (which filesystem do you
use)?

imapsync works well, if i.e. authenticated by a cyrus admin user (for all
accounts) in a single transfer. if you faced to problems with timestamps of
emails in mailclients, you may hace to use "--addheader" to regeneate the
timestamps from the mails during tansfer.

But before you start to migrate mailbox contents you have to migrate the
cyrus databases - i.e. mailboxlist, quotas.db etc.) - this usually means
exporting / importing mailboxlist, quotas etc. from the regarding database
files from cyrus.

see i.e.:
https://www.cyrusimap.org/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.7/internal/database-formats.php

rsync is difficult as the cyus.* files in the mailboxes may be binary or API
incompatible and the cyus partitioning / storage directoy layout has to be
the same on the new system. Even filesystem diferences aspects could make
trouble.

If you have sieve, you have to sync the sieve pool by i.e. rsync, but have to
make shure the diectoy layout is the same and "refresh" the sieve pool then.

> I then restarted the process and used rsync natively with --hard-links
> in order to see if that reduced the disc space. Following the rsync of
> all the user mailboxes I re-initialised

> At a guess this means that all of the user mailbox quota settings are
> gone.  However,  I would expect the usage to be shown. And is there
> not a default quota?
Thee is no "quota" as default in cyus. You have to migrate your quotas
(quotas.db) before you start to sync mailbox contents.

hth a bit,

good luck,

Niels.

 Niels Dettenbach