Impact of changing back "altnamespace"

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Sun Mar 4 07:38:59 EST 2018

On 03/02/2018 12:15 PM, Tom Plancon wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A week or so back I posted here about issues I was having with
> cyrus-imapd 2.3 after changing the "altnamespace" variable in
> imapd.conf to "yes" in order to set up shared mailboxes. It threw a
> monkey wrench into my server and caused a lot of problems for a couple
> of days Things have settled down but still some residual problems for
> users in their email clients, e.g. Inbox contents disappears or does
> not show recent mail. Also deleting hangs for a long time.
>
> I'm considering changing "altnamespace" back to "no" hoping it will
> clear up those issues.
>
> Any thoughts as to what I can expect if I do this? All input is
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks!

If you do this, you'll need to revert your sieve scripts, if any, to be
compatible with the old setting.  After updating the settings in
/etc/imapd.conf, you should to run the 'translatesieve' Perl script (in
the /tools directory) like so:

    $ /<path to Cyrus binaries>/translatesieve -u -a

As explained in the man page, you should first use "Dry Run" mode, via
the "-n" flag, to see what would be changed.

Prior to use, you may wish to save backups of your sieve scripts.

Cheers,
     -nic

Nic Bernstein                             nic at onlight.com
Onlight Inc.                              www.onlight.com
6525 W Bluemound Rd., Ste 24	          v. 414.272.4477
Milwaukee, Wisconsin  53213-4073	  f. 414.290.0335