Prefork or not prefork

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmailteam.com
Mon Jun 25 19:30:58 EDT 2018

We have a handful with "prefork=1 maxchild=1" (one for each service
type) listening on separate ports that can be connected for debugging.
The advantage here being that the process is already waiting for you to
connect a debugger before using it.
But yeah, otherwise we have prefork=0 at FastMail too.  Fork is pretty
fast compared to everything else in an IMAP session.
Bron.

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018, at 22:45, Eric Luyten wrote:

> On 25/06/2018 14:39, Albert Shih wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I would like to know when that's become usefull to use prefork
>> (for imap)>> and how much you set the prefork (vs nb of users).
>

> We have  prefork=0  set on all Cyrus services for many years now.
>

> Eric.
>
> ----

  Bron Gondwana, CEO, FastMail Pty Ltd
  brong at fastmailteam.com