Why Cyrus?

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Wed Jan 17 06:33:43 EST 2018

Hi,

> A new customer asks me to build a new mailserver environment with
> Dovecot. I normally use Cyrus.
>
> My question: What's better in Cyrus?

I thought the plan was to answer that question on the website, but I guess
that hasn't happened yet – at least I couldn't find anything.

I'd say it's the better choice for large-scale deployments with tens and
hundreds of thousands of users.

> I use Cyrus because Dovecot did not excist at the time I wanted to go
> away from Washington IMAP.

I'm in the same boat.

> An important reason to stay with Cyrus is
> this mailing list with good support, and because I know Cyrus.

Right, but for a new deployment I would at least consider Dovecot. I've
never administrated a Dovecot server, but it is definitely much easier to
set up than Cyrus.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - Weyertal 121, Zimmer 2.02
Regionales Rechenzentrum (RRZK)