Shared folder fiasco

ellie timoney ellie at fastmail.com
Sun Feb 25 19:53:02 EST 2018

Hi,

> cyrus-imad 2.6

Is this a typo? There is no cyrus-imapd 2.6.  I'm going to carry on
assuming you meant "2.5", but please advise if otherwise.
> I tried to set up a shared mailbox using a howto found here:
> http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en:ressources:dossiers:cyrus:shared_mailbox
That page says it's for 2.2, which is ancient (and long before my time,
so I can't comment on its accuracy).  Documentation for 2.5 specifically
is available at https://www.cyrusimap.org/2.5/ (though I'm not certain
how complete it is)
> it acted as though it had never seen the user's mailboxes before and
> needed to reload all of the existing email headers in all folders
Yep, changing the namespace will appear to clients as if the entire
world has changed (in a way, it has)
> After about 36 hours things settled down and is now behaving normally
> for most users,
Cool, that's what I would expect to happen, once all the clients have
finished updating their state.
> however I have 2 users that cannot see the contents of their INBOX.
> I don't see anything unusual in maillog for the 2 users

That's weird.  I see that you've tried reinstalling Thunderbird, but I
don't know if that removes the profiles or not.  It might be a problem
with the Thunderbird profile, and reinstalling might have used the same
one.  In which case, removing and creating a new profile might do the
trick.  Information about managing Thunderbird profiles is available
here: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/using-multiple-profiles
Cheers,

ellie

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018, at 3:49 AM, Tom Plancon wrote:
> Hi folks,

> I'm running an email server for 40 users on cyrus-imad 2.6 on CentOS
> 6, with postfix 2.2.6. Our email client is Thunderbird. I tried to set
> up a shared mailbox using a howto found here:
> http://wiki.linuxwall.info/doku.php/en:ressources:dossiers:cyrus:shared_mailbox.
> Based on that info, I set altnamespace to yes in imapd.conf, and that
> caused problems for the Tbird clients; it acted as though it had never
> seen the user's mailboxes before and needed to reload all of the
> existing email headers in all folders!  That was especially true for
> the Sent folder which Tbird could not find for a while and kept
> throwing errors, although it sent the email. Also the display of the
> users Inbox changed in the Tbird folder listings to appear as a
> "subscribed" folder rather than the user's INBOX.> After about 36 hours things settled down and is now behaving normally
> for most users, however I have 2 users that cannot see the contents of
> their INBOX. The email is there, and they are receiving normally, but
> just not visible in Tbird. All other subfolders are there and the
> contents visible.> I don't see anything unusual in maillog for the 2 users. I've tried
> completely removing their Thunderbird installation then reinstalling,
> inbox contents appears initially then disappears! Any thoughts as to
> what's to do here are greatly appreciated! Thanks!> --
> *Thomas Plancon*
> *CAD/IT MANAGER*
>
> E:  tplancon at bkaarchs.com
> W: www.bkaarchitects.com[1]