Initial use of Xapian

Nic Bernstein nic at onlight.com
Wed Feb 14 11:51:55 EST 2018

On 02/14/2018 10:35 AM, Lists Nethead wrote:
> Quoting Nic Bernstein <nic at onlight.com>:
>
>> The advice to move it to START is actually based on a recently
>> discovered bug, referred to in that issue report (#2234).  It
>> /should/ be in DAEMON, but for that bug, which has been fixed.
>> The fix will be in the next release.
>>
>> In general, the mailing is a grand place to start, and IRC is also
>> your friend (#cyrus on freenode).
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     -nic

>>> A-ha. So it is better to look at Github instead of the mailing list
>>> apparently.
>>>
>>> https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/manpages/systemcommands/squatter.html
>>> still advises DAEMON, that is why it ended up there.
>
> Thanks to the advise above and I believe I got it working now.
>
> One more thing though, if replication is involved, it appears one
> needs one log for squatter and another for replication, am I correct?
> I got replication to work only after I added another log, like,
>
> sync_log_channels: squatter replog
> and
> syncclient       cmd="/usr/local/cyrus/sbin/sync_client -r -n replog"
>
> Not sure if this is mentioned in the docs somewhere.
>
> Cheers,
>
> //per

In general, for each consumer of a sync_log, a new log should be defined
in `sync_log_channels:`.  I use the word "consumer" there intentionally,
as the processes which use these logs actually consume them, and leave
nothing behind (assuming it all works as expected).  So if more than one
process tries to eat up the same log, you'll have problems.

The overloading of the sync_log framework for purposes beyond
replication is new in 3.0, so we're still getting the documentation up
to snuff in that regard.  However, the documentation already makes this
concept clear in that when using more than one replica you need to
specify more than one sync_log via the `sync_log_channels:` directive
(see
https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/reference/admin/sop/replication.html#channels
for details).

We obviously do need to produce more generalized documentation for this
whole scheme, and I'll be using this discussion as a guide in that
regard.  sync_log, as the name implies, started life as a way for the
"master" server to provide a list of "units" -- either users or
mailboxes -- it has touched, so that a replica knows what to request in
updates.  This is such a useful concept, however, that it is spreading
to other subsystems which need to know what might have changed in a
potentially large data set (the typical mail store) and so we need to
explain this not just in the Replication documentation, but in a more
general way.

Note also that there is a `sync_log_unsuppressable_channels:` directive,
which defaults to "squatter".  This is defined as:

        If specified, the named channels are exempt from the effect of
        setting sync_log_chain:off, i.e. they are always logged to by
        the sync_server process. This is only really useful to allow
        rolling search indexing on a replica.

If you are going to use a name other than "squatter" for your rolling
indexing sync_log channel, then you need to update this as well.

Cheers,
     -nic