Question about getting release source packages

David J. Weller-Fahy l.info-cyrus at dave.caterva.org
Sat Apr 14 19:53:24 EDT 2018

On Sat, Apr 14, 2018, at 15:17, Jason Englander wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, David J. Weller-Fahy wrote:
>
> > the FTP location [1] referenced on github [2], I am prompted for a
> > username and password.  I've tried anonymous, and various combinations
> > thereof, but nothing allows me to access the release packages.
> >
> > [1]: ftp://ftp.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd/
> > [2]: https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd#how-to-get-cyrus
> >
> > Could someone confirm whether this is just me?
>
> Browser is no help, but commandline FTP gives me the following:
>
> Connected to FTP-01.cyrusimap.org.
> 500 OOPS: failed to open vsftpd log file:/var/log/vsftpd.log
>
> So, I'd go with the http download until someone fixes that.
>
> Unless you are looking at different branches, patches, etc. I would
> recommend the web site download page rather than github:
>
> https://www.cyrusimap.org/download.html

Ah-hah!  Thanks for the nudge: because there was no reference to the HTTP download locations at the "Build and Install Yourself" [1] page, it never occurred to me to look in the release notes for such.  With your confirmation that there were HTTP download locations, I ended up finding them.  It may be useful to include a reference to those locations, but I'll find an email address for the website to send that recommendation.

[1]: https://www.cyrusimap.org/imap/download/getcyrus.html

Regards,
  -dave