IDN - Need help

Walter H. Walter.H at mathemainzel.info
Sun Jun 18 23:47:00 EDT 2017

Are you sure he's talking about the right thing as he mentioned this:

"The sender in question uses a @gmail address."

please first declare the part of E-mail address you are talking of ...

name @ domain

in case you're are talking about the 'name' part, there is not any
character besides  [0-9a-z\.\-_] defined (see RFC 2821)
and in case you're talking about the 'domain' part, there is used
Punycode, which results in the same character set;