IDN

Per olof Ljungmark peo at intersonic.se
Thu Jun 15 07:45:01 EDT 2017

On 2017-05-12 23:37, Per Olof Ljungmark wrote:
> Thank you for your reply - I meant exactly what I wrote - is it up
> to the delivery agent only (Postfix/lmpt in our case) to decide
> whether to accept a sender with 8bit characters in the address and if
> it does will cyrus digest it. Thanks /per
>
> On 12 May 2017 21:45:07 GMT+02:00, "Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat.com
> <http://Syndicat.com>)" <nd at syndicat.com> wrote:
>

> Am 12.05.2017 um 19:39 schrieb Per olof Ljungmark
> <peo at intersonic.se>:
>
> Does Cyrus Imap support IDN (International Domain Names) as sender
> address or is it just the delivery agent that takes care of this?
>
> Not sure, what you mean in detail.
>
> We successfully receive mail from IDN domain senders over EXIM /
> Cyrus, while it is typically not a good idea to have any IDN domain
> in an email address (lack of "standardization" / compatibility). But
> I’m not sure how reliable this works.
>
> Like, for instance, über or gösta.
>
> Then of course is the question if there is support for 8bit mailbox
> names as well.
>
> For that what i have seen - not really.
>
> In the past we recommended our users to avoid using i.e. german
> Umlauts within folder names, even if they seems to get „converted“ by
> cyrus in a working or even proper manner - there will be problems
> with several IMAP clients not liking this, which still have problems
> with that on their side…

This is what Postfix reports when it tries to deliver to Cyrus:

(SMTPUTF8 is required, but was not offered by host XXX
[/var/imap/socket/lmtp])

(can't see anything relevant in the log from Cyrus)

We want it to be delivered but I cannot figure out how - the sender
address has a "ü" in it.

Really grateful for a hint.

Thanks,

//per