Cyrus 3.0.3 XAPPLEPUSH

Arnaldo Viegas de Lima arnaldo at viegasdelima.com
Thu Aug 24 11:58:18 EDT 2017

There is not much that can be done for the error handling, as it’s a script called from a daemon. Stdout and stderr are not captured, so you need to resort to sending things to syslog.

I really haven’t worked with any other notification service, so I can’t comment on that note.

As for getting this to work on a larger scale there are basically 3 considerations:

- Port the script code to a more efficient implementation (C or C++), mostly as a replacement to notifyd. Actually notifyd can be easily modified to play this role directly.
- Decide if MySQL is the way to go for your installation. Maybe using Cyrus twoskip? I used MySQL because it was available and simple to use.
- Sort out any issues with the certificate/key. I do not know how the licensing for using it work. My guess is that for a small shop they will not care if you extracted the certificate from macOS X, but running it for a few thousand users is another story. Having support for iOS Push Mail adds value to Apple’s products, so it may be simpler than I think and it’s just another push service: they have tons.

Arnaldo.