watching and processing a Spam folder for each user

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Sep 29 10:44:09 EDT 2016

I have experienced e-mail systems where each user has a "Spam" (and
"NotSpam" on some) folder in their folder hierarchy to which they can
simply move spam to have it classified as spam for them personally (per
user Bayes databases for example).

So leaving out the latter part (the per-user database and handling,
etc.) I wonder what, if anything exists to monitor the Spam (and
NotSpam) folders for all users.

While I can see this being a neat built-in feature of a mail server
like Cyrus IMAP, I doubt it exists.  I'd be happy to be corrected.

But short of that, I can imagine a monitoring process which, using
IMAP, opens a handle to the Spam (and NotSpam) for every user and takes
action to classify anything that shows up in those folders accordingly,
by perhaps handing the items that do show up to another
"classification" process (i.e. spamassassin perhaps).

I wonder if such a beast exists.  I'd love any pointers if anyone knows
of such.

Cheers,
b.