cannot unlink .... mboxkey: No such file or directory

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 8 07:56:46 EST 2016

If you're running rolling replication, it SHOULD have logged both the old mailbox name and the DELETED mailbox name, and calculate the move when syncing.

If you're running sync_client -m on just the mailbox, sure - it will get deleted, because sync_client can't tell what name it was renamed to (there are plans afoot to make rename detection more clever with some mailboxes.db changes, but that's still a while away as part of a fully unified murder environment)

Anyway, you didn't say which Cyrus version you're using there.  If it's pre 2.4 all bets are off!  Pretty sure this was solid in 2.4.0 and above though, with rolling replication.