sieve runtime error Fileinto: Permission denied

Sunny ssn at ebi.ac.uk
Wed May 25 05:31:25 EDT 2016

On 24/05/16 12:59, Edda via Info-cyrus wrote:
> Interesting ;-) Looks like fileinto wants to deliver to an existent
> (existent for the user) but different folder as you expect, not the
> ones you listed below.
>
> What's your sieve script?
> And what sees the user in the IMAP LIST command?
>
> I can reproduce this issue with a test user (mailtest) and an
> additionally created shared folder:
>
> localhost> cm user/mailtest
> localhost> cm user/mailtest/Drafts
> localholocalhost> cm Drafts
> localhost> lam Drafts
> anyone lrs
>
> Test user logs in and sees:
>
> [root at popc ~]# telnet localhost 143
> [...]
> . login mailtest xxx
> [...]
> . LIST "" "*"
> * LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "INBOX"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/Drafts"
> * LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Drafts"
> . OK Completed (0.000 secs 4 calls)
>
> If the test user wants to deliver mails directly to the shared Drafts
> folder via sieve script:
>
> if anyof (header :contains "to" "mailtest")
> {
>     fileinto "Drafts";
>     stop;
> }
>
> I get the error:
>
> May 24 13:23:24 popc lmtpunix[6959]: sieve runtime error for mailtest
> id <201605241123.u4OBMqJK006976 at popc.localdomain>: Fileinto:
> Permission denied
>
> For delivering to the folder either the owner or "anyone" needs the
> "p" right on it. Fortunately, nobody has, as the folder was created
> with ACL "anyone lrs".
>
> I think you created something similar.... but I admit, it's a bit
> guessing... But iff this is the issue, you have unexpected folders and
> selected the wrong folder in the sieve script.
>
> Edda

Hi,
Edda's email pointed me into the right direction and found the culprit,
there was a custom script in the wrong place and was stripping the Inbox
prefix from the sieve script hence the fileinto permission denied errors
because it couldn't find the correct folder. Our email servers uses
Inbox.folder_name format and not the UNIX separator character '/' for
delimiting levels.

Thanks