sieve runtime error Fileinto: Permission denied

Edda letters001 at sendmaid.org
Tue May 24 07:59:21 EDT 2016

Interesting ;-) Looks like fileinto wants to deliver to an existent
(existent for the user) but different folder as you expect, not the ones
you listed below.

What's your sieve script?
And what sees the user in the IMAP LIST command?

I can reproduce this issue with a test user (mailtest) and an
additionally created shared folder:

localhost> cm user/mailtest
localhost> cm user/mailtest/Drafts
localholocalhost> cm Drafts
localhost> lam Drafts
anyone lrs

Test user logs in and sees:

[root at popc ~]# telnet localhost 143
[...]
. login mailtest xxx
[...]
. LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "INBOX"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "INBOX/Drafts"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "/" "Drafts"
. OK Completed (0.000 secs 4 calls)

If the test user wants to deliver mails directly to the shared Drafts
folder via sieve script:

if anyof (header :contains "to" "mailtest")
{
     fileinto "Drafts";
     stop;
}

I get the error:

May 24 13:23:24 popc lmtpunix[6959]: sieve runtime error for mailtest id
<201605241123.u4OBMqJK006976 at popc.localdomain>: Fileinto: Permission denied

For delivering to the folder either the owner or "anyone" needs the "p"
right on it. Fortunately, nobody has, as the folder was created with ACL
"anyone lrs".

I think you created something similar.... but I admit, it's a bit
guessing... But iff this is the issue, you have unexpected folders and
selected the wrong folder in the sieve script.

Edda